September 27, 2010

Falling Into Basil

Now that fall is here (and I've officially introduced Bruce to the world-wide-web,) I'm trying to figure out what to do with what remains of him as the weather begins to change. Today we can start with basil, because, well... that's how I'm feeling and as we have previously established I have ADD.

Our basil plant is still quite large and has plenty of crisp, green, and basilicious leaves left for harvesting. Here is a recipe I adapted from www.cookinglight.com that I found to be delicious. Now, there were a few reviews that stated the recipe was to "planty" and/or "herby," so disclaimer:  I would like to note that if you don't like basil, don't make this dish,  dumb assidiot, silly person. Clearly with 3 cups of basil, it's the star ingredient... and yes, it is an herb.

What you'll need:
  • 1 9oz package of fresh fettuccine 
  • 3 cups fresh basil leaves
  • 1/4 cup half and half 
  • 3 tablespoons of roasted pine nuts
  • 3 tbsp fresh grated Parmesan cheese
  • 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
  • salt and pepper to taste
Directions:
1. Cook fettuccine according to package directions. (Omit salt and oil if possible.)
2. Combine additional ingredients in a food processor. Blend until smooth.
3. Combine fettuccine and sauce. Heat over low flame on stove top if necessary.

Tips, Tricks, and Mishaps:
  • I used fat free half and half. It didn't make a bit of a difference to me! The sauce was still creamy and delicious.
  • Because I used fat free half and half I added a very small amount of extra virgin olive oil to the sauce mixture for additional flavor. 
Without any alterations this recipe has 3 servings each weighing in at 374 calories each.  Weight Watchers Points - 8. 

Happy fall ya'll!

No comments:

Post a Comment